FTGT Evan back with some quick thoughts on the leaked Tyranid kit – the Tyrannocyte, which looks to be a replacement for the defunct Mycetic Spore.
This is a huge game changer for Tyranid players as it totally changes the available tactics for the army.
The new Tyrand Drop Pod can transport 20 models or 1 Monstrous Creature, and these are assigned at deployment, giving lots of flexibility to the army. The ability to drop units in and create early backfield pressure with loads of bodies or something like Hive Guard opens up the book immensely.
Some early thoughts from the FTGT Tyranid brain trust:
- 3 Hive Guard in a pod – now they can catch Wave Serpents and do a number on them with ignores cover.
- 20 Devilgants – a staple in the old book, they can now deliver their massive amount of firepower where it is needed.
- Tyrannofex with Electroshock Grubs – can drop two templates and then be a big, durable menace in the enemy backfield.
- 20 hormagaunts – this is more of a combo, but they can drop in and use their impressive run ability to create a screen around enemy units, with a potential full spread of a 32″ in a line.
- Zoanthropes – Deep Strike actually makes taking 3 in a group for triple Warp Lance useful
- Pyrovores – they’re still not great, but at least they’ll get to hit something
- Dakkafex – Obviously helps their short range and is a problem that has to be dealt with
With this new kit, just about every unit in the codex can be revisited, with improved potential when they can deep strike and do so safely.
Fellow Nid players, what combo are you looking to exploit? -FTGT Evan