With 8th Edition getting ever closer, we take our first look at the second of five indexes being released on June 17th: Xenos 2.
The Index: Xenos 2 book is 144 pages worth of information, rules, and datasheets for the T’au Empire, Orks, Tyranids, and Genestealer Cults. A slightly more logical setup than the Xenos 1. Here is a quick sample of our full review.
From what Games Workshop has said the five indexes are merely transitional as they are intended to hold us over until all the other Codex books are released. GW has left things spread out a bit so that they can be changed easily if necessary (like upgrade points values and such). Just, like in Xenos 1, there is a small bit of fluff that introduces each section before jumping into the rules and datasheets.
Now, for the Orks, they keep their two abilities from 7th: “Ere We Go!” and “Mob Rule”.
“Ere We Go” is going to be huge. What is also a cool thing is that you can either roll a D3 to choose your psychic abilities at random or just straight up choose them. Now, a new psychic ability found with the Orks is called “Da Jump” and that has a warp charge value of 7 and “you can select a friendly Ork Infantry within 6″ of the psyker, remove it, and place it anywhere on the battlefield more than 9″ away from the enemy. This unit counts as having moved for the purposes of any rules.”
The T’au Emire are going to be very powerful this edition. Especially their Support Systems have the capability of being game-breaking. Many units are able to take on Support Systems. Advanced Targeting System allows the unit equipped with it to up all AP characteristics of its weapons by 1. For a cost of 8 points to equip, it easily becomes a great option to equip. Another useful one is the Early Warning Override which is your Interceptor ability from back in the day. “Velocity Tracker” adds 1 to all hit rolls when firing at a unit that can Fly. Essentially your faux Skyfire ability.
Index: Xenos 2: $25
One of five books covering the range of Citadel miniatures used to play games of Warhammer 40,000, Index: Xenos 2 is an essential purchase for those wanting to play games of Warhammer 40,000, packed with updated rules and complete points values for Ork, T’au Empire, Tyranid and Genestealer Cults armies*. It includes 137 datasheets covering the Ork, T’au Empire, Tyranid and Genestealer Cults range of miniatures, with overviews of each army. Updated abilities, psychic powers, weapon profiles and points values allow you to field your collection in games of Warhammer 40,000. There’s also a blank army roster and detachment roster, which you are free to photocopy and use when building a Battle-forged army in Matched Play games.
Covered in the 144-page softback book:
– An overview of the Orks and their 6 main clans – Goffs, Evil Sunz, Bad Moons Deathskulls, Blood Axes and Snakebites;
– An Ork army list, with an explanation of the Clan keyword, Power of the Waaagh! psychic discipline and the ‘Ere We Go! and Mob Rule Abilities;
– 46 datasheets for Ork miniatures.
– An overview of the T’au Empire;
– A T’au Empire army list, with an explanation of the Septs keyword, For the Greater Good Ability and rules for using Markerlights;
– 37 datasheets for T’au Empire miniatures and Tidewall scenery pieces.
– An overview of the Tyranids;
– A Tyranids army list, with an explanation of the Hive Fleet keyword, Hive Mind psychic discipline and the Synapse, Instinctive Behaviour and Shadow in the Warp Abilities;
– 39 datasheets for Tyranid miniatures.
– An overview of the Genestealer Cults;
– A Genestealer Cults army list, with an explanation of the Broodmind psychic discipline and the Cult Ambush, Unquestioning Loyalty and Brood Brothers Abilities;
– 15 datasheets for Genestealer Cult miniatures.
* Aeldari (Craftworld Eldar, Dark Eldar and Harlequins) and Necron armies are covered in Index: Xenos Vol.1.
Be sure to check out our First Look video on Index: Xenos 2 and be sure to check back for more videos on the other four Indexes.
Be sure to check back with us daily for more 8th Edition news and reviews.