Get ready to enhance your daemon smiting and Chaos banishing potential with our Tips and Tactics breakdown of the Codex: Grey Knights!
Knights of Titan, rejoice as we delve deeper into the Codex: Grey Knights in this Tips and Tactics session. We will be giving an in-depth review of datasheets, psychic powers, relics, traits, and more to help give you Grey Knight players an edge against your opponents.
There are even new models to take, provided you can convert them of course. If you are looking for a general overview of this codex, please check our Unboxing post.
That said, it is time to dive right into the Stratagems, Warlord Traits, Relics, Dark Hereticus Disciplines, and more to see what’s hot and what looks promising. Here is a quick and dirty sample of our Tips and Tactics breakdown.
For the complete Tips and Tactics breakdown, be sure to scroll down and press play on the full video below.
Their ability listings haven’t changed from what we have seen in Index: Imperium 1. We’ve seen the reduction of Smite’s range and the increased damage to daemons. There are characters that can extend the range by 6″ so you can, theoretically, jump back up to Smite’s normal 18″ range. Now, what is different is the addition of combi-weapons and dreadnought heavy weapons to their wargear lists. Dreads can take multi-meltas, heavy plasma cannons, and twin lascannons. The combi-weapon options are flamer, plasma, and melta.
We did say that there are new units for the Grey Knights and one of them is the Grand Master in Nemesis Dreadknight.
A conversion was down for this month’s White Dwarf if you are looking for ideas on how to do your own conversion. Be forewarned, the Dreadknight is a bear to convert and detail so you are going to want to do your research to be prepared to work with this difficult kit. This unit clocks in at 190 points at base, 220-250 depending on what wargear you choose to load out. He has W12, S6, T6, Sv+2, and will experience degradation of stats when wounded.
You will not be able to shunt with this model, hence the Dreadknight Teleporter ability. This piece of wargear costs 10 points and will allow you to keep it in reserve and then drop in 9″ from a target. It has a 4+ invulnerable save and friendly Grey Knights units within 6″ can re-roll failed hit rolls of 1. You could drop in a few of these models with their considerable firepower and go after targets. Or, you could hold them until you need to the firepower to take pressure of your defensive line.
We cannot wait to see how these bad boys will perform (Spoiler alert 6 of them do quite well in a game).
Codex: Grey Knights: $40
Chanting rites of banishment, the elite brotherhoods of the Grey Knights stride fearlessly into battle against the worst horrors of the galaxy. They wear blessed silver battle-plate and wield potent weapons of purgation, each a master-wrought relic whose worth can be measured in worlds. Every battle-brother of this Chapter is a powerful psyker, his will an adamant fortress and his mental powers a honed blade. As the galaxy becomes ever darker, the selflessly heroic Grey Knights fight unbowed.
Codex: Grey Knights contains a wealth of background and rules – the definitive book for Grey Knights collectors. Within this 102-page hardback, you’ll find:
– The Emperor’s Gift: a glimpse into the mysteries of the Grey Knights, their secretive history, the fortress on Titan where they are created and laid to rest and the rituals and canticles that define their struggle against daemonkind; – The unique organisation of the Grey Knights – defined by their struggle against the Dark Gods, this Chapter is split into 8 Brotherhoods, each detailed here;
– Heraldry of Titan: details of the unique heraldry and armour etchings borne by this Chapter;
– A timeline of the Grey Knights, from their origins beneath a veil of secrecy, major battles and struggles leading up to the current dire state of the galaxy – and the Grey Knights’ potential, drastic strategic response to this;
– Background and details on each character and unit available to a Grey Knights army;
– A showcase of beautifully painted Citadel miniatures, depicting the colour schemes of the Grey Knights expertly painted by the ‘Eavy Metal team.
Everything you need to get a Grey Knights army primed for heroic combat against the daemonic threat in games of Warhammer 40,000 is here:
– 32 datasheets containing rules for every Grey Knights unit;
– Army abilities reflecting the Grey Knights’ methods of war;
– The Armoury of Titan: wargear both ranged and close-combat used by the Grey Knights;
– Points values for all miniatures, weapons and wargear for use in Matched Play games;
– The Hammer of Daemons: rules for Battle-forged armies:
– 6 unique Warlord Traits,
– 16 unique Stratagems (with a focus on the psychic might of this army),
– the Relics of Titan (6 rare artefacts unique to the Grey Knights),
– the unique Sanctis psychic discipline, available to all Grey Knights psykers;
– 6 unique Tactical Objectives.
The Codex: Grey Knights is available now online and in local Games Workshop stores. Be sure to press play on our Tips and Tactics video below for the full codex breakdown.
For more on the Codex: Grey Knights and all things Warhammer 40k, visit Games Workshop!