GW’s changing 40k again this fall! Come get the latest updates on the next three new codex books for November and the highly anticipated Chapter Approved.
Games Workshop was excited to reveal more about the upcoming Chapter Approved as well as three more codexes in their line of fall releases.
We had a man on scene taking notes of everything they put out during the event, let’s take a look.
Chapter approved will be out by Christmas.
- Updates for all “ways to play”
- Open Play – bespoke rules and missions for Apocalypse
- Trial of new Vehicle Design Rules
- Starting with the Land Raider (both Imperium and Chaos)
- If things work well with Land Raiders, they’ll expand them to other STC types
- Narrative Updates – expanded to include linked campaigns with new strategems, missions, and setup areas, etc.
- Matched Play
- All point updates will be in Chapter Approved
- Tailored Eternal War mission updates
- Expanded faction rules and chapter tactics (Regiments, Tomb worlds etc.) for factions without codexes will be in Chapter Approved
- Tyranids will be out before November
- Followed by Imperial Guard and Eldar Craftworlds (not Ynarri
Shortly after the preview, Games Workshop gave us an overview of everything they covered as well.
We’ve heard a little more about what we can look forward to in the upcoming Chapter Approved, and it sounds more and more exciting the more we hear.
We learned tonight that the new book will feature, (amongst many other things)
- An expansion for Apocalypse games of Warhammer 40,000
- Guidelines on running a planetary invasion campaign
- Updated matched play points for dozens of units and weapons across every army
- Loads of new Missions for open, narrative and matched play.
We are also bringing a whole new feature to Open Play. Designing and building your own vehicles is a feature that hasn’t appeared in Warhammer 40,000 since 5th Edition. We are going to trial some new rules to allow you to design your very own Land Raider variants and field these behemoths on the battlefields of the 41st Millennium.
Finally Chapter Approved will also give Factions that have not yet received their codex some expanded rules while they wait, allowing these factions to make use of some of the cool new mechanics available in Warhammer 40,000.
Chapter Approved is looking like a must for any dedicated Warhammer 40,000 player.
And that wasn’t the only news.
We also heard what the next three codexes will be following the release of Death Guard and Adeptus Mechanicus in September. Before the end of November, xenos fans will be pleased to see some of the galaxy’s alien races get their codexes for the new edition with Codex: Craftworlds and Codex: Tyranids, while Codex: Astra Militarum lets fans of the Imperium’s vast human armies create thematic armies from their favourite Regiment.
So we can look forward to seeing codexes for Tyranids, Astra Militarum, and the Craftworld Eldar following the September releases of Death Guard and Adeptus Mechanicus. Chapter Approved is looking like it’s almost going to be a necessity for factions waiting on their codexes to be released, providing expanded rules they may not yet have access to.
We’re also seeing updated matched play points to units and weapons, a new planetary invasion campaign, new missions for open and narrative play, and the ability to design and build your own vehicles in Open Play.
The new Chapter Approved and codex releases announcements gave us a great idea of what to expect in the upcoming months. What do you think about the latest announcements? Is there anything you’re hoping to see or want to know more about? Let us know in the comments below.