Praise the Omnissiah, we left the salt at home for our first look review of 8th Edition’s Adeptus Mechanicus Codex.
The Codex: Adeptus Mechanicus is here and ready to bless you armies with sanctified canticles, 28 Stratagems, 13 Warlord Traits, 15 Relics, and Dogmas for 7 Forge Worlds. This codex contains the Questor Imperialis as well. While there are no new units that have been added to the 22 datasheets included, there is a lot of content in this codex.
Here is a sample of our quick and dirty review to give you the lowdown on what you can expect to see in this codex. Our Tips and Tactics video will be coming soon as well!
For our complete review, be sure to scroll down and press play on the full video below.
We have been waiting for a codex that combined Skitarii and Cult Mechanicus rules together. We never imagined it would come in 8th Edition. This codex has its lovers and detractors, with the latter complaining that were not a slew of new releases that accompanied this codex, just a standalone Belisarius Cawl and datacards.
This codex is jammed with content and options for you to customize your Mechanicus force.
This codex has a healthy fluff section that is full of new art and great color scheme ideas for those that are interested in learning about the Mechanicus and wanting to start up an army. There is not a lot of collected information out there regarding the Mechanicus/Mechanicum even with the two books from last edition, and this codex is a great source of lore information. It covers all the major forge worlds, heroes, battles, and much more.
Added to this is also the Imperial Knights lore, command structure, battles, etc.
Overall there are 28 Stratagems in this 104-page book. Compare that to the Space Marines have 29 and Chaos has 27. Plus there are options aplenty based on what units and/or Forge Worlds you are represented in your detachment, and there are 13 Warlord Traits to choose from with 7 Forge World traits are completely optional to take. Except for Belisarius Cawl, who is locked into taking the Forge World Mars trait: Static Psalm Code.
There will, of course, be Stratagems, Relics, Warlord Traits, and Dogmas that will stand more than others we’ll talk about our favs in our tips and tactics video soon!
Our Tips and Tactics review will highlight these and what you should avoid. It is in the works and we will bring that out to you as soon as possible.
The Adeptus Mechanicus are the keepers and manufacturers of technology for the Imperium of Mankind. It is a role they guard jealously, using their own standing armies, engines of war and god-machines. It is within their power to unleash the most arcane weaponry in the Imperium, and they do so without mercy. Grim processions of soldiers stride in perfect unison, each one a disturbing fusion of man and machine. Behind them stomp soulless automata, and towering over them are enormous walkers. An Adeptus Mechanicus army marching to war is a sight both terrifying and glorious.
Codex: Adeptus Mechanicus contains a wealth of background and rules – the definitive book for Adeptus Mechanicus collectors. Within this 104-page hardback, you’ll find:
– Disciples of the Machine God: a detailed history of the Adeptus Mechanicus, from their inception to the 41st Millennium, describing their devotion to the divine trinity – the Omnissiah, the Machine God and the Motive Force;
– An illustrated organisation of the Adeptus Mechanicus’ fighting forces, divided into macroclades, cohorts and maniples, with an overview of the hierarchy of the Cult Mechanicus;
– Bastions of the Machine God: a map of their forge worlds, Mechanicus-aligned Knight worlds, Skitarii expeditions and Dark Mechanicus worlds;
– Iconography of the Adeptus Mechanicus: icons, sigils and background information for 11 infamous forge worlds;
– The Ever-faithful: colours and heraldries for 17 examples of Kastelan Robots of the Cult Mechanicus;
– A guide to the structure of a Mechanicus-aligned Knight House, with 4 examples of Questor Mechanicus heraldry;
– A detailed timeline of key events, discoveries and battles in the history of the Adeptus Mechanicus;
– Background and details on each character, vehicle and unit available to an Adeptus Mechanicus army;
– A showcase of beautifully painted Citadel miniatures, depicting the colour schemes of the major forge worlds expertly painted by the ‘Eavy Metal team.
Everything you need to get a Adeptus Mechanicus army primed for games of Warhammer 40,000 is in here:
– 22 datasheets containing rules for every Adeptus Mechanicus unit;
– Army abilities reflecting the Adeptus Mechanicus’ methods of war;
– Armoury of the Machine God: wargear both ranged and close-combat used by the Adeptus Mechanicus;
– Points values for all miniatures, weapons and wargear for use in Matched Play games;
– Congregations of War: rules for Battle-forged armies:
– Forge World Dogma for armies with the following forge world keywords – Mars, Graia, Metalica, Lucius, Agripinaa, Stygies VIII, and Ryza;
– 28 Stratagems, 20 of which are unique to this army – 7 are used with specific forge worlds, and 1 is specific to the Questor Mechanicus,
– the Arcana Mechanicus: a selection of rare wargear, some forgeworld-specific;
– 6 Warlord Traits for use by any Warlord, with a further 7 specific to the main forge worlds: Mars, Graia, Metalica, Lucius, Agripinaa, Stygies VIII, and Ryza;
– 6 unique Tactical Objectives.
Designed to make it easier to keep track of Tactical Objectives and Stratagems in games of Warhammer 40,000, this set of 67 cards – each featuring artwork on the reverse – is an indispensable tool in the arsenal of any Adeptus Mechanicus gamer. Included:
– 28 Stratagems from Codex: Adeptus Mechanicus, including 7 which are forge world-specific, and 1 specifically for Questor Mechanicus along with 3 Stratagems – Command Re-roll, Counter-Offensive and Insane Bravery – from the Warhammer 40,000 rules, available to any army;
– 36 Tactical Objectives, including the 6 Adeptus Mechanicus specific Objectives from Codex: Adeptus Mechanicus.
The Codex: Adeptus Mechanicus is available now online and in local Games Workshop stores. Be sure to press play on our quick and dirty unboxing and review video below for the full review.
For more on the Adeptus Mechanicus and all things Warhammer 40k, visit Games Workshop!New 40k FAQ Top 5 Changes You Need To Know- Episode 145