Essential Hobby Supplies, Tools for Miniatures & Wargames Models
Save big and shop our list of essential hobby products and supplies for miniatures and wargame models now!
Latest Amazon Deals, Over 1000 Items
As the world becomes increasingly modern, hobby technology has skyrocketed. Take a look at these products I recommend that’ll make your hobby journey a bit smoother.
Please let me know if there is something you still can’t find or think I should check out for a future review!
TUTORIAL: Make your own light halo for under $50
Products For The Hobby Table
- Light Halo (featured above)– Tutorial With Parts List
- Overhead Triple Bright Lamp– I use two of these on my hobby table.
- Cheap $20 Lamp for Painting & Hobbying on Miniatures- It also has excellent reviews (4.5 stars with over 9,900 reviews), is insanely portable, and can be dimmed.
- Ultrasonic model cleaner. Quickly clean parts and tools
- Smaller Ultrasonic cleaner– Both ultrasonic model cleaners are sweet at saving you time with a hands-free way of washing the chemicals off of your resin pieces.
REVIEW: Take Your Models Anywhere with This Mobile Hobby Table
- Dx Racer Chair– A good chair is something you don’t want to skip out on if you find yourself at the hobby desk. This is what Rob uses himself.
- Gunnar Glasses- Protect From Harmful Blue Light, great for those harsh painting lights and computer monitor
REVIEW: Keep Your Posture While Hobbying: Razer Iskur Chair
- Purple Pad makes any chair better – hobbying takes a lot out of you and this pad is great for long hours in the chair.
- Razer Iskur Gaming Chair – This new chair is the real deal whether you are hobbying, gaming, or working on the computer is has all the support you need!
- Ott Light Portable Light with No Clamps– perfect for on the go light for your projects
TUTORIAL: Cleaning Models With The Ultrasonic Model Cleaner (large)
- “Vortex” Heavy-duty paint mixer is more fun than it should be. We recently found this cheaper alternative as well that may be worth checking out here, as well as this version.
- Mr. Polisher for trimming mold lines– Resin and plastic injections still come with mold lines that are visible after paint. Take it all off with Mr. Polisher
- Refilling Paint Water Pot– If you’re painting with a bunch of different colors, you can save yourself the trips of dumping water with the press of a button.
TUTORIAL: Best Mixer Shaker for Wargames Miniatures Paints
- Masters Airbrush Spray Booth With LED Lights- remove harmful particles from the air, and still be able to see your models!
- Gamer Black Dual Fan Spray Booth – Just like the booth above, but has two fans, and comes in a slick color!
- Amazon 11×17 Poster Frame 2 Pack for Warhammer starter box inserts.
- Mobile Hobby Table- mobile dedicated hobby table you can use anywhere.
REVIEW:Spray Booth With LED Lights Black Spray Booth (New Product)
- Masters Black Spray Booth (New Product)
- Affordable Spray Booth – Masters original upgraded with LEDs so you can see better!
- Indoor Filters For Spray Booth– Keeps your hobby airspace clean if you’ll be priming and airbrushing a bunch.
- Wet Pallet (small)– If you’re tired of wasting your paints by watching them dry as you work on your models, it’s time to grab a wet pallet.
Hobby Supplies to Pick Up
TUTORIAL: Transferring Citadel Paints to Dropper Bottles: Decant
- 15ml Dropper Bottles– Swap the Citadel paint pots with these dropper bottles and keep them from drying out.
- 30ml Dropper Bottles (for contrast and large pots)
- Shoe Holder For Spray Can Storage– store your spray cans out of sight behind a door!
- Matte Coat In Any Conditions: Rust-Oleum Dead Flat Spray– Never ruin a miniature again! TUTORIAL: Remove Dust & Fix Matte Coat Crazing/Frosting
- Dead Flat Testors Lusterless Replacement
REVIEW: Take Better Pictures of Your Minis With These
- Vallejo Plastic putty for gap filling– Green Stuff has its uses, but this is awesome for filling in small cracks and crevices between bits.
- Tamiya Extra-Thin Cement Quick-Setting– Great for ETB and all those “sliced” plastic model characters
- Testors Liquid Cement For Plastics
- Selfie Light for Miniatures– works great for taking pics of your minis for posting to social media.
- Cheesecloth- for making Camo cloaks for miniatures. TUTORIAL: Shockingly Easy: Make Camo Cloaks For Your Miniatures
- Realistic Leaves for Miniatures Bases and Dioramas– You get five different colors in the set, so you can make it basically any season you want for the bases of your miniatures!
TUTORIAL: Easy Lift-Off- Great for lifting paint off of minis you want to restore
- Hobby Holder– GW’s handles are great if you buy them all. This product is a one-stop solution for most miniature sizes.
- Metallic Sharpie Markers For Painting– Great for quick trimming details on smaller models like shoulder pads/Titanicus
- Testors Easy Lift-Off Stripper (ELO)– A must-have if you’re restoring a model or bringing some older ones up to speed.
- Cheat at applying decals: Micro Sol/Set- Never have trouble with Decals again! TUTORIAL: Don’t Suck At Applying Transfers & Decals Anymore!
Winsor Newton Cleaner removes dried paint– This cleaner does not play. You will need to use it with metal or glass containers it will eat plastic!
Jentastic Brush Goop Conditioner after each use– Invented by a lady, but strong enough to protect and condition your brushes!
Shapers Brushes for filling gaps with putties– If you’re doing high-detail work on a conversion and need to fill gaps with plastic putty or green stuff.
- High-Quality Sable Paint Brushes
REVIEW: Bomb Wicks VS Citadel & Winsor Newton Brushes
Green Stuffis hands down the best for freehand sculpting just about anything
Sculpting Set this a great set for doing all that sculpting with green stuff above TUTORIAL: Sculpting Detail on Miniatures is Easy
- Dremel Tool Set– Variable Speed, great set for working with resin miniatures and terrain!
- Tentacle & Tube Maker: Must have for converters, the clear version rocks!
TUTORIAL: This Product Changes Everything!
- Bomb Wicks & Igniter Paintbrushes for Miniatures – Some of the best brushes I’ve ever used and reasonably priced as well.
- Godhand Clippers: Cut like butter at a nice price.
- Resin Sand– Helps to build up texture around scenic basing bits to flat plastic beveled bases. TUTORIAL: Beginner’s Guide To Making Bases With Pumice
TUTORIAL: How to Magnetize Knights
- Hand Sized Pin Vice For larger projects like Knights, Forge World kits etc.
- Drill Bits For Magnets (small quick release) Larger Bits (for vehicles etc.) Quick-release set
- Wowstick Motorized Drill makes pinning and drilling out barrels a breeze and helps with Magnetizing miniatures!
New Monument Hobbies Pro Synthetic Detail and Sable Hair Paint Brushes and Dry Brushes!
- Mr. Hobby Multi-Black Weathering– one of the easiest ways to get great dirty, grimy weathering on your painted models.
- Ground Brown Mr. Hobby Weathering
- Mr. Hobby Weathering Stain Brown
Wowstick Motorized Drill Watch us use at around the 24:00 mark in this video by clicking here.
- White Wash Mr. Hobby Weathering
- Mr. Hobby Weathering Solvent– for cutting back the weathering solution.
Godhand Clippers: Cut like butter at a nice price.
Best Hobby Paints For Miniatures
TUTORIAL: How to Paint Chrome Miniatures
- AK Interactive AcrylicsAlready the favorite of many European Painters.
- Formula P3 PaintsWhile Privateer has “fallen off” some in recent years, their paints are still great!
- Army Painter WarpaintArmy Painter has been a staple for many since its introduction in 2007.
- Vallejo AirVallejo paints have been favored over GW’s Citadel line for over 20 years.
- Vallejo Game Color
- Citadel Paint If you have to paint the “GW Way,” Citadel is the way to go, but there are so many better and cheaper alternatives out there; it pays to be brave and try something new!
- Pro Acrylwas created by a true artist specifically for miniatures. These paints are one of the best and most affordable out there, and we 100% recommend them to all.
New section under progress featuring all the gear we use to record video content and stream.
- Elite Earbuds For Podcasts & Streaming- Pretty much waterproof (I dropped them in a 3 ft mudpuddle), and indestructible ( I also smashed them on the asphalt twice). 15-hour battery life and quick charging case make these my go-to now for everything from phone calls to streaming.
- Powerful Slim Laptop we use for streaming and working at conventions.
3D Printers Are Great For Miniatures
TUTORIAL: Learn 3D Printing Today
These days it’s even easier for hobbyists to source and print bits, perhaps more so than any of us had thought. The undeniable allure is that it’s not too expensive for any person to get into 3D printing in order to monetize and/or supplement their hobby.
- Anycubic Mono–is pretty affordable and easy to use
- Anycubic Photon Mono SE– printer is magic for minis.
- Anycubic Mono X Printer– seems to be the new favorite of miniature hobbyists that swear by Anycubic.
- ELEGOO Mars 2– Clocking in generally cheaper than the Anycubic series of printers (except the base mono) ELEGOO Mars 2 is a perfect “in-between” printer that is a great quality at a great price!
- ELEGOO Saturn 4k Printer– Between the much larger print area and a resolution approaching actual 4k, the Elegoo Saturn has quickly become a favorite of hobbyists for 3d printing miniatures!
3D Printing Supplies:
You won’t need the pickle jars or the UV cure unit if you get the Anycubic Wash & Cure Station. The new version is pictured above, the old one below.
- Waterproof Silicone Prep Mat (makes containing and cleaning up spills of both resin and IPA mixes easy)
- Microfiber Cleaning Cloths(for the print film)
- Pickle Jar for washing parts
- 90% or higher Isopropyl Alcohol(12 pack)
- Basic UV Curing Station(3-time settings)
- Anycubic Wash & Cure Station (previous design)
- New Anycubic Wash & Cure Station Large Capacity
- Resin filter & funnel:Strain out uncured bits of resin from your printer vat.
Recommended Airbrushes & Supplies
Harder & Steenbeck Evolution Airbrush (left) and Colani (right) REVIEW: High-End Airbrushes
- H&S Colani Airbrush– Amazing quality for the price.
- H&S Ultra Airbrush– is Probably one of the best “starting airbrushes” on the market.
- H&S Evolution Airbrush (Lightweight Aluminium)
- H&S Evolution Airbrush (Chrome finish)
- Badger Patriot 105
- Iwata Eclipse Airbrush– An awesome airbrush to get you started.
- GSI Creos .18 Super fine Airbrush Great for the smallest of details.
Tooty No-Name Compressor REVIEW: More Than a Beginner Airbrush Compressor
- Rooty Tooty– A smaller version of the Tooty with a unique external fan and cooling system with good reviews.
- Tooty No-Name Compressor– This is a solid overall compressor that comes with an air reservoir if your airbrush didn’t come with one.
- Sparmax Compressor– Name Brand Super Heavy duty and quiet.
- Aspire Compressor
- Timbertech Compressor- Compressor and Airbrush Bundle has good reviews at an affordable price.
- Vallejo Airbrush Flow Improver Makes Airbrushing EASY!
- Vallejo Airbrush Thinner Thinner is great for getting your paints to the right consistency.
- Iwata Airbrush Lube – keep your metals lubed up!
- Grex Airbrush Cleaner – The second you buy an airbrush, you should also invest in some cleaner.
- Goose Neck Bottle for Cleaning AB– Clean your AB from every angle with high powered water!
- Tamiya Masking Tape For Miniatures: 18mm Large 10mm Medium 6mm Small
Figure Storage Options For Miniature Wargaming
TUTORIAL: Store Your Miniatures Safely For Under $20
- Monument Hobbies: GoBag EVO From the looks of it, this bag may be the right size to not only carry your paints but give you a place to hobby as well.
- Collapsible Tournament Push Cart– This thing is MONEY. You can roll up to the tournament, pull out your minis, collapse this thing and tuck it under the table.
- Clear Case For Miniatures 15″x 17″, 6″ Tall
- Project Cart With 6 Cases for Miniatures 12″x12″ 2″-1/2“
REVIEW: Pack & Roll Foldable Tournament Cart
- Steel Sheet (For Clear Cases)- use as a base for something to magnetize your minis to.
- 3M Double Sided Mounted Table (For Steel Sheets)
- 10 Adhesive Magnetic Sheets 8.5″ x 11″ 20 mil Magnet Peel & Stick– If you want a peel-off magnet sheet for your minis to stick to, this is perfect.
TUTORIAL: Store Your Larger Miniatures Safely Too!
- Sterlite Bins x12 – You can put a metal sheet in the bottom of these and throw your minis with magnetized bases inside!
- Hobby Bags – You can never have enough transportable bags to keep your hobby supplies in one spot
TUTORIAL: How To Magnetize Resin & Plastic Bases For Miniatures
- Large Acid-Free Cases- Perfect for miniatures like Magnus, Mortarion, Beetle Lady and more.
- LED Set For IKEA Case
- 3 Outlet Remote to control multiple sets of lights, devices, fans, etc…
Monument Hobbies: GoBag EVO
Adeptus Titanicus Hobby Gear
TUTORIAL: Magnetize Your Adeptus Titanicus Command Terminals
The Best Marvel Crisis Protocol Aides & Accessories
TUTORIAL: Accessories, Storage & Organization for Marvel Crisis Protocol
- Artbin cases great for all your MCP needs
- Artbin super satchel version perfect for holding basically everything you need
- Artbin double-deep for terrain and models
- Coin collection box for tokens and objectives
- Mats by Mars makes awesome Marvel Crisis Protocol playmats
- CogOTwo for tokens and templates (UK based)
- Muse On Minis for tokens and templates (US based)
- Document Tubes are perfect for storing and transporting the playmats
- Pencil case for rulers and such
- Penny sleeves for character cards
- Resealable bags for team tactics cards & roster builds
- 4×6 hard plastic top loaders for character cards
- Chess clock for game time
- Magnets for the bottom of your bases
- Sheet metal to magnetize your minis in the case
- Double-sided tape to hold the sheet metal down
- Game Mat EU Makes awesome pre-painted terrain
With all these essential hobby supplies for wargaming miniatures covered, what’s been your best purchase? Do you have any other hobby recommendations?
Latest Amazon Deals, Over 1000 Items
Let us know in the comments of our Facebook Hobby Group, and make sure you enter the latest monthly giveaway for FREE today!
This post contains affiliate links, as an Amazon Associate Spikey Bits earn from qualifying purchases.