5 Quick Steps To Painting Your Death Guard

Death Guard Wal Hor

Chaos is upon us, and Lord Nurgle demands paint for his minions! Here’s a few basic techniques to speed paint those Nurgle Marines!

It was really simple and took about four to five hours total for each squad of ten, which I thought for the end result was great.  Keep in mind they are Nurgle so there is “perfect” involved, messy is just fine. I’m not sure how this would look on a say a regular Space Marine, or normal figure, but it would definitely work on say Orks, or Traitor / Renegade guardsmen.

nurgle dg 1

First step was Necrotic Flesh Primer by Army Painter, this will give a great base to work from. Remember though, when working with this line of primers you have to get closer to your models (around 8″ or so) when you spray.  This prevents the primer from atomizing or picking up dust in the air, and “fuzzing” your models. I also primed about 25% of the models just plain white to get a slight natural variance to each squad.

nurgle dg 2

Then I base coated the model with the brightest versions of the colors I wanted, so that they would show through the washes I would do later. For gold I used Auric Armour Gold, metals were Runefang Steel, fleshy areas I did Vallejo: Heavy Flesh Tone, pustules I painted Flash Gitz Yellow, and clothes/bandages I painted Ushabti Bone, or Karak Stone.

nurgle dg 3

After that’s done, I did I slightly watered down wash with GW’s Reikland Fleshshade. To apply the washes I like to used a straight drybrush because besides holding more wash in the bristles, the chisel actually helps to disperse the wash better on the model. Starting at the top of the model I worked my way down from the backpack to the feet.

nurgle dg 4

After letting that dry (I used a small table top fan aimed at each squad), I then applied a slightly watered down Biel Tan Green wash to mostly the whole model, but left some areas alone randomly. Next up was an Agrax Earthshade wash to the metals (and bolter stock), followed by a Seraphim Sepia / Agrax Earthshade wash to the cloth areas.

After all that I went back with a 75/25 Sotek Green/Abaddon Black mix to base coat to the weapons, as well as anywhere I wanted to make a squad mark. Next I highlighted that with straight Sotek Green, and then with a 50/50 Sotek Green and White mix.

nurgle dg 5
The whole base was base coated with  50/50 Rhinox Hide / Mournfang Brown, then drybrushed Karak Stone, and finally Zamesi Desert. Last I attached tufts of static grass to the base with some super glue. I hate using the super glue to do this (cause it always seems to get onto my figures) BUT once it dries, that grass is on there. Plus I really like how it “tufts” up into like patches of grass.
nurgle dg 6
And that’s it. Pretty simple, and quick. I really like how they turned out. This same method can be used for anything really from Rhinos to Titans. I am actually painting up a Warhound Titan in this scheme as well.

About the Author: Rob Baer

Virginia Restless, Miniature Painter & Cat Dad. I blame LEGOs. There was something about those little-colored blocks that started it all... Twitter @catdaddymbg
Go to Top