Bored with the current state of 8th Edition Warhammer 40k? Come see what one hobbyist has to say about homebrew gimmick lists that have helped keep is hobby muscles strong.
So between life, work, and 8th edition in general (don’t get me wrong, it is not bad, but I personally liked the mechanics of 7th more), I sometimes find it hard to motivate myself to make armies and lists lately.
Which is why I have started making gimmick lists. And here is one I am ALL about and can actually WORK Towards. I actually own 80% of this already and will likely pick up what missing next month to pull this off.
I give you “The Dreadening”. An ALL DREADNOUGHT ALL THE TIME list.
The Dreadening- 1998 Points, 5 CP, 2 Detachments, 11 KP, 10 Drops
Vanguard Detachment- +1 CP
- HQ: Librarian Dreadnought (187)- Force Halberd, Furioso Fist, Meltagun, Smoke Launchers
- Elites: Furioso Dreadnought (154)- 2 x Furioso Fists, Meltagun, Storm Bolter, Magna Grapples
- Elites: Contemptor Dreadnought (165)- Dreadnought CCW, Combi-Bolter, Kheres Pattern Assault Cannon
- Elites: Relic Deredeo Dreadnought (237)- Anvillus Autocannon Battery, Twin Heavy Bolter, Atomantic Pavaise
- Heavy Support: Mortis Dreadnought (109)- 2 x Twin Heavy Bolters, Smoke Launchers
- Heavy Support: Relic Leviathan Dreadnought (334)- Cyclonic Melta Lance, Storm Cannon Array, 2 x Heavy Flamer
- Dedicated Transport: Lucius Pattern Dreadnought Drop Pod (80)
Vanguard Detachment- +1 CP
- HQ: Chaplain Venerable Dreadnought (174)- 2 x Dreadnought CCW, 2 x Stormbolter, Smoke Launchers; Warlord- Relic: The Veritas Vitae, Trait: Soul Warden
- Elites: Death Company Dreadnought (194)- 2 x Blood Talons, Heavy Flamer, Meltagun, Magna Grapples
- Elites: Death Company Dreadnought (189)- 2 x Blood Talons, Heavy Flamer, Meltagun, Smoke Launchers
- Elites: Furioso Dreadnought (175)- Frag Cannon, Furioso Fist, Heavy Flamer, Smoke Launchers
Tactically, I think this, for the most part, is pretty obvious. Go punch things with Dreadnoughts. But there are a few subtleties.
First of all, the Mortis and Deredeo Pattern team up and stay together. Ranged fire with both Dreadnoughts is 36″, for both weapons, the automatic pavaise brings a 5+ invulnerable save. I may switch the heavy bolters to autocannons on the Mortis (dropping Magna-Grapples and a heavy flamer someplace to do it) BUT for now that heavy 12 is nice.
The Fragioso in the past was the clear choice to put into a drop pod, but with the 9″ deep strike, it is not needed. Instead, he is a very situational beast. Most often plan is to leave him in my backfield, relatively close to my firebase, as a sweeper if you will. He is my ANTI-Deepstriker now. And for people without DS, I’ll just march him forward with my attack force.
The Leviathan is the NEW candidate for the Lucius Pattern Drop Pod. He is a big, tough guy with the ability to take down most vehicles in a single turn with his cyclonic lance and storm cannon and tough to wipe out in return. Plus, just such a COOOOL model.
Main attack force consists of the Chaplain and 2 DC dreads in one group and the Librarian, Contemptor, and Furioso in another. Run forward and tear things apart. The Chaplain and DC dreads are for attacking higher model count, weaker targets while the Lib and crew go after smaller, tougher nuts to crack (all ideally)
The Chaplain is the Warlord OVER the Librarian because:
- He comes with an Invulnerable Save.
- I can give him Soul Warden, giving him the ability to deny the witch IN ADDITION to having that naturally in my Librarian dread.
- If he is primarily chasing infantry, he is less likely to encounter things that can hurt him.
Overall, it just seems FUN and fluffy to do, so I want to make it happen.