Miniwargamer Jay put out a video claiming he heard from numerous “reliable sources at Adepticon” the release date for 8th edition. Let’s take a look at the video then we’ll break it down for you.
Now these are rumors, so don’t forget to add salt!
First big rumor put out was the release date is going to be June 10th. We don’t know how true this is, so add heavy salt here folks. We were reporting everything from Adepticon and didn’t hear anything about a release date, they actually refused to comment anytime the question was brought up.
As for the rule changes that he put out, let’s take a closer look at what he had to say:
- 3 Gameplay styles to create your army, and receive bonuses for each style.
- Movement phase: Units are going to have their own individual movements, no more blanket movement rules across all like units. I.E. Infantry, Jump, and bikes.
- Psychic Phase: Pretty much going to remain the same. Deny the Witch will slightly change, different bonuses, and might be easier to deny for units that don’t have a lot of psychic defense.
- Shooting Phase: They’re bringing back save modifiers. Weapons will have a negative save modifier, and they will deduct from the defending units save modifier.
- Assault Phase: Whoever assaults first will get to go first for the first round, including Unwielding.
- Leadership: Leadership tests are going to change to moral checks. Leadership – Casualties and however many you fail by then gets transferred back to wounds on the unit.
This is a lot to take in for some folks because it’s really sounding a lot like the Age of Sigmar rules with individual movement speeds, save modifiers, and the moral checks. Once again these are rumors and should be taken with a grain of salt.
But how do these compare to what we put out from Adepticon and can 100% confirm?
- Movement Phase: The movement value is back! Each unit will have bespoke values! Unit types will be gone, you only have to learn the rules for your own units! This sounds a lot like the Age of Sigmar movement rules!
- Shooting Phase: Every weapon is going to have its own armor save modifiers. Weapons will “act more like you imagine in the lore”. So we can probably expect some sizable changes to weapon interactions to go alongside this!
- Assault Phase: MAJOR changes coming in the assault phase! Charging units are going to strike first, enabling players to control the tabletop based on their movement and assault decisions!
- Leadership: Leadership is being simplified significantly. Now you roll 1D6 and add the number of casualties you have taken this turn. If that value is greater than your Leadership, you take wounds equal to the difference!
And don’t forget about the private Q&A we covered with the GW Studio guys Pete Foley & Jes Bickham
Q: Given the new modes of play announced for the new edition of 40k, will balance
between factions/races be a priority? Since Organized play is one of the 3 new ways to play?
A: Yes, rules balance will be a priority in the new edition, but keep in mind
that GW has limited play tester resources. Make sure to utilize the Warhammer Community
forums and email to address issues in the future.
Q: Will we see a reduction in the amount of codecies and physical books needed to play 40k? Or,
will wee see a similar format to AoS?
A: While we don’t want to invalidate all books immediately, we do recognize the effects on the game
by having so many books and supplements. In the new edition we will reduce the physical
books needed. Look forward to the future.
There’s a lot of rumors floating around with 8th edition, some we can confirm, some we can’t. Before Adepticon we had a couple rumors passed on to us in regards to 8th edition.
- There will be new releases for 40k starting in April and Running all the way through May.
- After the new release push is done, the grand finale will be a shop event, which they’ll be getting packs for soon.
- This mystery event will most likely be a campaign of sorts.
- 8th edition is looking like it will be coming out in June time frame, with the new box set (edition?) sometime between then and August 8th.
We haven’t heard an exact release date in June, obviously it’s going to be a Saturday, so we can’t confirm the June 10th date that Miniwargamer Jay put out in his video.
None the less, June is right around the corner and we will see how much 40k is actually going to change very shortly if these rumors are true. Be sure to check back in with us for the latest updates on 8th edition, and if you have any questions please feel free to ask.
What are your thoughts on the latest 8th edition rumors? Is 40k changing for the better if these are true? Is a more “Sigmarized” play style the answer to helping our community grow and getting new people involved? Let us know in the comments below.8th Edition TO Drama & Top 5 Imperial Armour Units - Episode 105
Get the new 8th Edition Dark Imperium minis Your First Month for signing up!