Get the scoop on how the Tau Army can work with our Top 10 review of the new upgrades, traits, stats, and rules you need to know!
Are you ready to field your battlesuits and further the next Sphere of Expansion? The Codex: Tau Empire has what you need to fight for the Greater Good!
This is the time of the Xenos codices and the Tau Codex is the latest one from Games Workshop. Sorry Ork players, still no word on yours. The Codex: Tau Empire brings with it Sept specific Stratagems, Relics, Warlord Traits, and more for you to develop a playstyle all your own.
Our very own Rob Baer has this codex on his paint bench to give you the breakdown of what you could be using for your battlesuit wielding Space Commies.
For our complete review, be sure to scroll down!
The Codex: T’au Empire retails for $40 and appears to be a very decent codex. Lorewise, it explains what happens to 4th Sphere of Expansion and jumps to the current events happening in the 5th Sphere of Expansion.
Jumping into the rules and datasheets, there are several winners and options that Tau players have to fill out their lists and tactics. One such winner is the Commander in the Coldstar Battlesuit. He is a beast on the table. He comes with a 20″ move and can Advance an extra 20″. He comes with Assault weapons and can he have 2 Tactical Drones. He is pretty much an auto-include for most Tau lists.
Something to keep an eye on when forming your lists is the keyword shuffle when it comes to battlesuits. For instance, there is a strat that allows infantry units to fire twice.
This is great for Fire Warriors and other actual infantry units. If you are wanting battlesuits to benefit, only the Stealth Suits have the Infantry keyword. Also, Shadowsun has the Infantry keyword oddly enough.
Most battle suits will have the Battlesuit/(name of their suit) keywords. This is important since several stratagems will call out specific battlesuits types for use, such as the Branched Nova Charge for the Riptides.
Rob goes in-depth into the Top 10 things you need to know about the Codex: T’au Empire in his full review video below!
Top 10 Tips & Tricks:
- Cheap Brigades
- Tau Commander Tech
- Savior Protocols
- Battlesuit Keywords
- Relics / Signature System
- Markerlights & Blanket Effects
- Kauyon & Mont’ka
- Riptide Tech
- Sept Overview
- Points Changes (Not Covered Overview Wise, but still mentioned. See the full list here)
Codex: T’au Empire: $40
The T’au Empire is spreading, its boundless ambitions yet to be checked. Although world after world has been subsumed under their control, the T’au believe it is only the start of their new unified order, the first steps of a long journey that will end in a better existence for all. In their hearts they know it is their destiny to bring the light of truth to a galaxy drowning in darkness, and none have the right to deny their progress across the stars. If resistance is encountered, negotiations are swiftly and aggressively replaced with a purely military solution.
Codex: T’au Empire contains a wealth of background and rules – the definitive book for T’au Empire collectors. Within the 136-page hardback, you’ll find:
– A New Empire Dawns: an introduction to the T’au Empire, their attitude toward rapid expansion and the caste system of their society;
– The Rise of the T’au: an overview of the incredibly quick evolution of the T’au, and the sudden arrival of the Ethereals;
– Art of War: the ancient tactical philosophies and customs still in use by T’au warriors, and their applications to interplanetary warfare, including the arts of Kauyon and Mont’ka:
– A Destiny to Rule the Stars: the story of the T’au Empire’s expansion into the wider galaxy, including descriptions of their first contact with the Imperium, and details of the Septs of the First, Second and Third spheres of expansion;
– A map of the T’au Empire’s territories at the time of the Fifth sphere of expansion;
– The language and culture of the T’au, with a guide to names and their alphabet;
– Descriptions of the T’au Empire’s military organisation, including an example expeditionary force, markings for 21 Septs and examples of team, helmet and battlesuit markings;
– Example colour schemes for 12 Septs;
– A timeline of major events and battles in the T’au Empire’s history;
– Background on each unit available to a T’au Empire army;
– A showcase of beautifully painted Citadel miniatures, with example armies featuring everything from individual images of models to battle scenes on terrain.
Everything you need to get a T’au Empire army primed for games of Warhammer 40,000 is in here:
– 38 datasheets providing rules for every T’au Empire unit and miniature;
– Army abilities reflecting the T’au Empire’s methods of war on the tabletop;
– Arsenal of the Empire: wargear both ranged and close-combat for use by the T’au Empire;
– Points values for all miniatures, weapons and wargear for use in Matched Play games;
– Supremacy Through Unity: rules for Battle-forged armies, including:
– 25 unique Stratagems, including 6 specific to the following Septs: T’au, Sa’Cea, Vior’la, Bork’an, Dal’yth, and Farsight Enclaves
– 6 Sept Tenets: special rules for each of the following Septs: T’au, Sa’Cea, Vior’la, Bork’an, Dal’yth, and Farsight Enclaves;
– 6 unique T’au Empire Warlord Traits, along with 6 additional Sept-specific traits – 1 each for T’au, Sa’Cea, Vior’la, Bork’an, Dal’yth, and Farsight Enclaves Septs;
– Signature Systems: 12 pieces of bleeding-edge weapon and artefacts, technology available exclusively to the T’au;
– 6 unique Tactical Objectives.
Designed to make it easier to keep track of Tactical Objectives and Stratagems in games of Warhammer 40,000, this set of 64 cards – each featuring artwork on the reverse – is an indispensable tool in the arsenal of any T’au Empire gamer. Included:
– 25 Stratagems available to any Battle-forged T’au Empire army as found in Codex: T’au Empire, along with 3 Stratagems – Command Re-roll, Counter-Offensive and Insane Bravery – from the Warhammer 40,000 rules, available to any army;
– 36 Tactical Objectives, including the 6 specific Objectives from Codex: T’au Empire.
The Codex: T’au Empire is available now online and in local Games Workshop stores. Be sure to press play on our review video below for more.
For more on the T’au Codex and all things Warhammer 40k, visit Games Workshop!ATC Weekend & Slow Play Will Be A Problem Episode 156