Games Workshop hinted that after three weeks of Deepkin releases, the new Deathwatch codex release is approaching fast, and may be the next book released by them for 40k.
GW posted up the following tidbit on their Facebook page recently that has folks talking, and we take a look back at the recent rumors for the codex that seem to indicate it’s going to be all about the Primaris versions of the venerable Astartes.
Liberation is at hand – brace yourself for the new Deathwatch codex, coming very soon (and let us know what you’re most excited about in the comments).
From what we have been heading all week, the new book will focus mainly on Primaris marines in the new codex as the smaller power army marines seem to slowly be disappearing from the pages of all GW publications:
Here are the latest rumors on the Deathwatch courtesy of Chapter Master Valrak.
Just a heads up, this was all sent to me while I was in the USA on vacation so you probably know this, I just want something to make my Primaris better, hope this all true
Mostly based around Primaris Marines
Mixed Primaris units; inceptors, intercessors, agressors etc in each unit, similar to current mixed Kill-Teams
Teleportarium Stratagem to Deepstrike units (hello Hellblasters!)
Rule to get Sniper rule against Xenos
Some kind of re-roll wounds ability
Something to “remove Tau Markerlights”
No current rumors about new models
So, according to Chapter Master Valrak, the upcoming Deathwatch releases are going to be based mainly around Primaris Marines, and you’ll be able to mix different types of Primaris units together in the same squad. If that’s true it could definitely end up changing the meta again as we know it. With bonuses against Xenos, a Deepstrike Stratagem, and an ability to remove T’au Markerlights, the rumor is making the Deathwatch sound really appealing.
But, that’s not the only rumor floating around right now. Chapter Master Valrak also added the following.
This comes from a French Youtube Channel a couple weeks ago.
This is from the youtube channel French Wargame studio latest live, they said this yesterday and they were totally right about drukhari leaks in the live before this one.
Codex harlequins :
– There will be a Portal Fortification, 120Pts Not under 14HP 3+ 5++ T8, that you will set everywhere on the table but more than 12inch of enemy and more than 6 inch of objective, that will give the possibility to ds units from it, with a strat similar to necron if he is destroyed you can set them. After the portal is destroyed unit are not forced to be more than 9’’ to the enemy. Strongly implied that this unit will be available to aeldari.
– A warptime spell for Harlequin unit
This is the go codex for primaris: they called it the codex Primawatch
– For primaris You can mix unit like this : 5 intercessors ( barebone) + a mix of 5 other miniatures from primaris ( for example agressors, hellbasters, interceptors)
Tactical flexibility stratagem to split your squad
– There will be a stratagem ( Teleportarium) to deepstrike a unit of death watch.
– Stratagem to give sniper rules on death watch unit against xenos . ( they take for example hellblasters sniping synapse tyranid)
– Stratagem auspex scan but work without deepstrike against xenos ( they take examples pointys ears that come at 12”inch and you shoot at them)
– Something to reroll wounds against troops? not precised if stratagem
– They talk about something that can remove tau markerlights? no idea of what type of things that can be
Kill team will be out the same month than deathwatch codex
So from that update, it seems that perhaps the Deathwatch, and not the Knight Codex will most likely be arriving around May 12th followed by a whirlwind release of two more codex books (Knights & Harlequins) to close out the fiscal year sales wise for Games Workshop.
Even if the Knight book does not hit first in May, we know there are new Knight models on the way, and Hermanista from Bolter & Chainsword dropped some rumors on the supposed release order and his prediction on the timeframe.
I’m wracking my brain of the order they were presented on the release sheet, but I think it went
So I’d expect the first two one week, the other the week after.
The valiant is silver with a spear and some plasma type gun I think. As I think I’ve said before I’d expect it to be the character box as well.
I don’t know if it’s thin/lanky or not, and it was so long ago now that I’m wracking the noggin to remember the conversation.
The release sheet did have renegade on there as well, so hopefully that means a rerelease or an update?
And I was thinking May too, what came out last May? As it’s likely from a sales pov GW will want to match last year’s release with another similar level one to keep the pounds ticking over
So, if the rumor is true it looks like it’s going to be the Castellan and Armiger coming out the first week, followed by the Valiant and Helliger the second week. But, there could be a fifth Knight as well. According to hermanista, the Renegade Knight was also on the release sheet, leading him to believe a re-release or an update.
But, once again, this is just a rumor so take it as you will.
What do you think about the latest on the next three releases for Warhammer 40k (both confirmed and unconfirmed)? Which are you ready to spend your hobby dollars on if, and when they hit store shelves?