Want to know what is hot and what’s not in Codex: Astra Militarum? Get the scoop on a ton of tactics and rules no one else covered in our latest feature!
Are you ready for what is possibly the longest Tips and Tactics session ever done by our very own Rob Baer? Then strap in for a sample of an hour long tactics break down of the Codex: Astra Militarum. Rob goes in depth into what is hot, what’s not, and what are the sleeper hits of this new codex. The Astra Militarum, or the Imperial Guard for old dogs, are definitely stronger and have more to play with with the codex than ever before.
For the complete Tips and Tactics breakdown, be sure to scroll down and press play on the full video below.
This codex is probably the best codex to be released thus far. It is incredibly synergistic with the Stratagems, Heirlooms, Doctrines, Traits, and Psykana working together to allow you to customize your armies. You want to run all tanks? You can. You want to go all in on infantry and still do work. You can do that as well. You can do a lot with this codex and still be competitive on the tabletop. You can combo in another <Imperium> detachment, such as Space Marines or Ad Mech, and still be able to do work.
Let’s clear the air about the “Conscript Spam Nerf” players and reviewers have been talking about. The nerf really did little to change anything. Most lists were already running 30 Conscripts with a Commissar before the change to their unit size. Although, it is admirable that GW would work towards addressing it. Rob does have lists that will use Conscripts, and in the case of the Valhallans, when combined with certain Stratagems, Orders, and a relic, the effects can be devastating.
Another change that you will see with this codex and Rob will explore more in-depth is the fact that Tank Commanders and Pask can issue orders to each other or themselves. This is due to the omission of the “character exclusion rule” that appeared in the Tank Orders ability description.
Now, you have the usual suspects when it comes to solid choices for the Astra Militarum. Catachans, Cadians, Valhallans, Armageddon, etc. However, the regiment that has completely captured Rob’s imagination is Tallarn.
They are essentially the sleeper hit of this codex. Their Tank Order can give a Tallarn tank extra movement and and not impact their ability to shoot. Their doctrine is possibly the best one in the codex. Their infantry can Advance and still shoot any weapon type, except for Heavy. Also, there is no penalty to hit rolls. The doctrine also affect vehicles and has an additional bonus to Titanic Vehicles. They can Advance, they can shoot, and their Heavy weapons are now treated as Assault weapons until the end of the turn. Then add in the assault with Adamantium Tracks, and you can easily obliterate anything in your way.
This is just a small sample of the hour long breakdown of this codex. For the full Tips and Tactics experience, do yourself a favor and press play on the video below.
The Astra Militarum is the implacable military arm of the Imperium, and one of the largest forces in the galaxy. On thousands of battlefields scattered throughout the galaxy, the soldiers of the Astra Militarum march to war. They are the Hammer of the Emperor, who with faith, fury and sheer weight of numbers crush heretics and xenos alike beneath their boots. Massed ranks of Guardsmen unleash concentrated salvoes of las-blasts while officers bellow orders over the thunderous roar of tank and artillery fire.
Codex: Astra Militarum contains a wealth of background and rules – the definitive book for Astra Militarum collectors. Within this 144-page hardback, you’ll find:
– Hammer of the Emperor: the origins of the Astra Militarum – dating back to the Great Crusade – with details of their structure and organisation, the methods of recruiting (some more humanitarian than others…), their training and deployment;
– A Galaxy of War: an annotated map of the current state of the galaxy, with key war zones where the Astra Militarum battle;
– Detailed background and colour schemes of the Astra Militarum regiments of Cadia, Catachan, Armageddon, Vostroya, Vahalla and Tallarn;
– Regiments of Distinction: background on 12 regiments – Armageddon Ork Hunters, Athonian Tunnel Rats, Miasman Redcowls, Mordian Iron Guard, Tanith First and Only, Savlar Chem-Dogs, Ventrillian Nobles, Indigan Praefects, Mordant Acid-Dogs, Faeburn Vanquishers, Truskan Snowhounds and Vresh Grenadiers;
– Heroes Beyond Number: a history of the major battles fought by the Astra Militarum;
– Background and details on each character, vehicle and unit available to an Astra Militarum army;
– A showcase of beautifully painted Citadel miniatures, depicting the colour schemes of several regiments painted by the renowned ‘Eavy Metal team – including expertly-converted models showing you how to represent the more esoteric regiments on the gaming table.
Everything you need to get an Astra Militarum army primed for games of Warhammer 40,000 is in here:
– 56 datasheets containing rules for every Astra Militarum unit and vehicle;
– Army abilities reflecting the Astra Militarum’s methods of war, including Astra Militarum Orders and Regimental Orders;
– Armoury of the Imperium: wargear both ranged and close-combat used by the Astra Militarum;
– Points values for all miniatures, weapons and wargear for use in Matched Play games;
– Bulwark of Humanity: rules for Battle-forged armies:
– Regimental Doctrines for Cadian, Catachan, Valhallan, Vostroyan, Armageddon, Tallarn, Mordian, Militarum Tempestus Regiments;
– 6 unique Warlord Traits,
– 25 Stratagems, with 8 specific to the Regiments named above;
– the Heirlooms of Conquest: a selection of rare wargear;
– The Psykana psychic discipline, available to any Astra Militarum model with the Psyker keyword,
– 6 Warlord Traits for use by any Warlord, with a further specific to the above-named Regiments;
– 6 unique Tactical Objectives.
Designed to make it easier to keep track of Tactical Objectives, psychic powers and Stratagems in games of Warhammer 40,000, this set of 89 cards – each featuring artwork on the reverse – is an indispensable tool in the arsenal of any Astra Militarum gamer. Included:
– 7 psychic power cards – 6 from the Psykana psychic discipline, along with Smite;
– 25 Astra Militarum Stratagems available to any Battle-forged Astra Militarum army as found in Codex: Astra Militarum including 8 which are Regiment-specific, along with 3 Stratagems – Command Re-roll, Counter-Offensive and Insane Bravery – from the Warhammer 40,000 rules, available to any army;
– 18 Order cards;
– 36 Tactical Objectives, including the 6 Astra Militarum-specific Objectives from Codex: Astra Militarum.
The Codex: Astra Militarum is available now online and in local Games Workshop stores. Be sure to press play on our quick and dirty unboxing and review video below for the full review.
For more on the Astra Militarum and all things Warhammer 40k, visit Games Workshop!How To Kill Custodes BIKES (Asking For A Friend): Episode 137